I created this photobook over the course of a week. I began by sorting through all the picture that I had taken throughout the semester and compiling the ones that I wanted to use for the photobook. This process was time consuming because I had to change or edit almost all of the pictures in some way before they were ready to printed. This process also helped me to realize how important it is to have good organization. After I decided what pictures I would be using from the projects, I then began choosing other pictures that I have taken during the semester to include in my photobook.
The next process was organizing my photobook in InDesign. This was challenging for me at first because I was struggling to come up with creative ways to organize each page. However, after doing it for several nights I began to be more comfortable with InDesign and some different things I could do to make the pages look nice. One everything was organized, I had to add page numbers and update my table of contents so it was accurate. I printed my book at AlphaGraphics. The first print ended up having a problem with the ink peeling off after I took it home. This gave me an opportunity to make some changes to my pictures and designs and reprint. This helped me tremendously, as many of pictures were too dark and some of my designs didn’t work right. Overall, I am happy with my finished photobook. If I could do something different it would be to print on slightly thicker paper so it could be preserved more easily.
Table of Contents
Draft of Professional Page
To create the cover of my photobook, I altered my fine art template that I used for our Themed Series project. I changed the background from white to black and changed my text to contrast it. To create my table of contents, I found some Photoshop brushes that I liked and installed them. I then chose a color scheme that I liked and basically just played around with the brushes until I came up with something that I liked. I might make a few changes later but overall I am happy with it. I wasn’t entirely sure what I wanted to do for my first spread but I knew I wanted to do a full page spread. I decided to go with one of my favorite landscape shots to introduce my first theme. Although I like the title, I think I might change the position a little in order to expose the “L” more. I will also be positioning the body text better…and removing the typo. I then typed out the information that will be on my professional image. However, I plan on taking a new image for it so I didn’t have one to use yet. I will likely add more information to my final design as well.
First Conceptual Experiment
Process: I began my process by sketching out some possible ideas. Some of these ideas were decent, but I ended up not going with any of them. Clearly I made the wrong choice. I was given three words that I needed to use in my conceptual shot: fur coat, flirtatious, mediocre. I feel like I captured flirtatious and fur coat decently well, and the entire image kind of naturally shouts mediocre to the viewer…so it kind of worked out.
I received several suggestions for improvement on my original conceptual image. However, I decided to go with something completely different. The main critique that I received was to decrease the amount of fog. I ended up getting completely rid of the original fog. However, I included some colored fog and light designs in an attempt to improve the image further. I also changed the color of the flower a little bit. I really disliked my first image but I like my second one a little more. It’s still not great but it’s much better than it was.
To capture the images, I took my friend Alexa to a barn near Sugar City and had her stand on a chair. I took a couple shots with us in the frame, and a couple without us. I then changed the exposure to capture the sky a little better. In Photoshop, I darkened the levels of the sky and added some “clouds” to create a foggy look. Overall I am definitely not happy with how this turned out, but because of time constraints this is what I ended up with. However, it was definitely a great learning experience of how to do better; and I learned some useful tools in Photoshop!
Camera: Canon EOS 60D – f/6.3 – 1/60 – ISO 100 – 24mm
Date: June 12, 2017 – Time: 7:27PM – Place: Rexburg, ID
Final image after edits.
Original photo with no edits.
My Subject: Bill Blair was born and raised in Southeast Idaho. He has been hunting basically his entire life. Bill lost his dad when he was young, and as a result had to learn most of his hunting skills on his own. Hunting is something that he enjoys doing with his family, as many of them like to hunt as well. While he does enjoy getting an animal and being able to use the meat, he also simply enjoys being outdoors and connecting with the wilderness. For the interview portion, we spoke on the way to the area, while we were there, and on the way back. This took a total of around 30 minutes.
Shooting Process: We went to an area on the river not far from where Bill lives. It was mid afternoon, and as a result it was difficult finding good lighting. The speedlight was only able to make a small difference compared to the overpowering light of the sun. Because my original image was so dark, I had to do a lot of editing to brighten up my subject. I also changed some of the colors in the sky to make it seem more appealing, and also distract from the fact that my subject wasn’t quite as in focus as he could have been.